Last Updated 5/29/2020 |Thermometers to States | Reopening information. | Hurricane Season Preparation.
Last Updated 4/30/2020 | COVID-19 EVS Cleaning Essentials Refresher Training Toolkit. | Airborne Precautions Infographic. | EVS Considerations Infographic.
Last Updated 4/13/2020 | List of Personal Protective Equipment FDA Emergency Use Authorizations. | Medical Waste Infographic.
Updated 4/08/2020 | FDA Approves System for Decontaminating N95 Respirators link and file. Medical waste content. Staffing content.
Updated 4/01/2020 | Decontamination and Reuse of Filtering Facepiece Respirators using Contingency and Crisis Capacity Strategies link |Determining Air Changes Per Hour (ACH) in the Field video.
Updated 3/30/2020 | Enforcement Policy for Sterilizers, Disinfectant Devices, and Air Purifiers During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency | FDA resource links.
Updated 3/27/2020 | EPA List N Infographic.
Updated 3/26/2020 | Preparedness links.
Updated 3/25/2020 | PPE, Cleaning and Disinfecting,Isolation Rooms links.
Updated 3/23/2020 | COVID-19 resources: General resource links. | Guidance for Retirement Communities and Independent Living links.
Updated 2/20/2020 | Updated Advisory AHE 2019 Novel Coronavirus released.
Updated 1/29/2020 | AHE 2019 Novel Coronavirus Advisory released.
Note: You must login to view members-only content.
- PATHWAYS TO CLEAN – eLearning Bundle certificate program: Turnkey cleaning and disinfection solutions for outbreak and pandemic surge response.
Access eLearning Bundle
- Ready. Set. Clean. Hospitality eLearning Bundle certificate program: Turnkey cleaning and disinfection solutions for outbreak and pandemic surge response for a hospitality setting.
Access eLearning Bundle
- COVID-19 EVS Cleaning Essentials Refresher Training Toolkit
Download Now (members-only)
Well Being and Self Care
Special Message: After months on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic, environmental service professionals have served as a source of comfort for patients not able to see loved ones, while maintaining rooms to the highest standards of cleanliness. EVS personnel are heroes deserving of recognition, but never forget they are human, too, and also may need care.
To support these health defenders, AHA has a number of behavioral health resources, including a page dedicated to COVID-19: Stress and Coping Resources.
- COVID-19 Challenges for Health Care Environmental Services: Open Forum Part 3, August 18th,
- Solution Sharing Open Forum: Health Care Environmental Services’ Response to COVID-19 Challenges –Continuing the Conversation
View On Demand
- Solution Sharing Open Forum: Health Care Environmental Services’ Response to COVID-19 Challenges
View On Demand
- Post COVID-19: Transitioning Environmental Services to a New Normal
View On Demand
Coronavirus Update, Part II: Health Care Professional Preparedness and Response to COVID-19, with Dr. Michael Bell, Deputy Director, Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Members-only webinar.
View On Demand
- Coronavirus Update—What Health Care Professionals Need to Know to Prepare for COVID-19, with Dr. Michael Bell, Deputy Director, Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Members-only webinar.
View On Demand | Download Post Webinar FAQs
- Making Handwashing Solution for Use in Global. Low-Resource Settings
- Comprehensive Hospital Preparedness Checklist for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Hurricane Season Preparations
Cleaning and Disinfection Information
Personal Protective Equipment
- PPE Preservation Best Practices
- Updated Proper PPE Use
- General FAQ’s on PPE
- CDC Sequence for Donning and Doffing PPE
- What personal protective equipment (PPE) should be worn by environmental services (EVS) personnel who clean and disinfect rooms of hospitalized patients with COVID-19?
- List of Personal Protective Equipment FDA Emergency Use Authorizations
- FDA Approves System for Decontaminating N95 Respirators
- Decontamination and Reuse of Filtering Facepiece Respirators using Contingency and Crisis Capacity Strategies
- FDA allows use of respirators that are not NIOSH approved.
- Emergency Use Authorization (EUA)
Checklist for Healthcare Facilities
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of PPE
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of N95 Respirators during the COVID-19 Response
Environmental Infection Prevention
Cleaning and Disinfection
- Interim Guidance for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Systems and 911 Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs)
- Enforcement Policy for Sterilizers, Disinfectant Devices, and Air Purifiers During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency | FDA
Air Change Formula
- Determining Air Changes Per Hour (ACH) in the Field. Watch this video from the American Society of Health Care Engineers.
Personnel and Personnel Training
- Toolkit for Worker & Employee Safety
- Train and educate health care personnel
- Criteria for Return to Work for Healthcare Personnel with Confirmed or Suspected COVID-19 (Interim Guidance)
Stay informed about the local COVID-19 situation. Know where to turn for reliable, up-to-date information in your local community. Monitor the CDC COVID-19 website and your state and local health department websites for the latest information.
The CDC has determined that medical waste generated in the treatment of COVID-19 patients and patients under investigation (PUIs) be managed in accordance with routine procedures. There are no additional packaging or transportation requirements from the Department of Transportation (DOT) for regulated medical waste or sharps.
Retirement Communities and Independent Living Facilities
The CDC released new guidance for retirement communities and independent living facilities to better aid in the planning, preparation for, and response to coronavirus disease 2019. The guidance is based on what is currently known about the transmission and severity of coronavirus disease. Residents in retirement communities and independent living facilities are considered to be at higher risk of severe COVID-19 outcomes because of older age and because they may have underlying health conditions.
- Guidance for Retirement Communities and Independent Living
- Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in Retirement Communities and Independent Living Facilities (Interim Guidance)
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) Checklist: Older Persons
Crisis Management Leadership
In the absence of pre-determined procedures, a novel crises, such as the COVID-19 pandemic, can overwhelm contingency plans and test leadership’s decision making. Follow these four principles to help you manage the unexpected. Note: Click screen if content doesn’t begin automatically.
Share this video with your colleagues and Break the Chain of Infection.
Determining Air Changes Per Hour (ACH) in the Field. Watch this video from the American Society of Health Care Engineers.